Thursday, January 3, 2008

Rotten Apples

Billy describes this song as "a home demo that I just didn't have the heart or energy to go back and record."

To be frank, I don't know what he's talking about.  Isn't "Stumbleine" in the same condition as Rotten Apples? I can't tell the difference between the demo and the album version, and honestly, I'd say Rotten Apples is a stronger song than Stumbleine anyway.  I'm not going to whine about song selection though (or at least not until I get to Set The Ray To Jerry).

Billy also says he's a fan of the lyrics, which is good, because they are pretty killer.  They seem like they straddle the line between pleasant and drippy poetry on paper, but the delivery plants a firm foot on the 'affecting' side.  It's a sad song, but it also has a very defiant side.  After all, the song is a plea to "Love her when your love goes unrequited."

Funny side note: when introducing this song on the Zeitgeist tour, Billy said that he'd never played it before, apparently forgetting that he'd done so in 1998. Ouch.

No comments: