Saturday, November 17, 2007

Starla

Having done two pre-gish not-so-great songs, I feel like taking on a real meaty one (gross).

Anyways, Starla is so damn near perfect I can't even handle it.
It takes it's time and there's no problem to it.  The song isn't too long, and every part complements the others wonderfully.  I even don't mind the fact that the song ends suddenly, which is usually the second biggest turnoff for me, right below a fade out.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say the song doesn't end suddenly, it ends in a completely logical way.  If the song ended with an ending ringing chord, I'd feel cheated out of an ending.

The quiet, "serve yourself" part in the middle, which Billy has said he wrote on the back of an envelope (the best place to write lyrics, btw) is such a beautiful moment, a calm before the epic storm that follows.  And the solo is totally bonkers, swirling in and out of melody.  Gosh! This song is killer, and to prove it, here's a killer live video of it from 1992:


No comments: