Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Purr Snickety

My version of Purr Snickety is obviously ripped from a vinyl source, and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to hear a cleaned up version (I also don't know if one exists).  This song is so private and personal, it seems like Billy's singing into his closet so no one ever hears him, ever. It's beautiful and I feel honored that Billy let us hear it (I feel similarly about Soothe, but oddly not the same way about, say, the Machina Acoustic Demos).  The first chord is strum in a way that seems like Billy feels nervous about playing it, but by the time he gets to "all your love won't change," he's feeling confident in what he's playing.

The lyrics are written in a wise-learned-old-man kind of way, which adds to the song's "old" feel. It's the mix of the lyrics and the quiet, awkward nature of how the song's played that make me love the crackles of vinyl on the track.  If it was clean and perfect, I think the song wouldn't really take me to another place.  As it is, I really want to sit down with the song and close my eyes to it.  It's a nice touch that's probably not intended, but I believe in happy accidents.

No comments: